Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Delaware: Land of the Carnies

I have been having a wonderful vacation with Brenna and her family, but there is something that I have noticed since arriving in this fair state of Delaware. It is either the home or an irresistible magnet for many if not all of our great nations "carny" population. Those of you who rarely leave cities or who aren’t Americans may wonder what a carny is, yet even you have probably come across these brave and resourceful entrepreneurs from time to time, for they are the mulletted multitude who serve you at baseball games and upscale mini-golf locations.

Bethany also seems to attract many second generation Carnys who have largely forgone the basic elements of their forebears lifestyle in order to live the new American dream of unnecessarily large automobiles and gastric bypass. These "New Jerseyites" have largely resettled in the southern part of that state and are almost singlehandedly responsible for the resurgence of Bon Jovi in the late 1990's. It is also this same group of nouveau riche that annually descend upon their homeland and walk around the boardwalk eating fried candies and discussing the ethical and metaphysical distinctions between traditional variations of iced cream and dippin dotz.

Incidently today will mark 4 months that Brenna has put up with me and I would state here and now that they have been the best of my life, there is no one kinder or sweeter in the whole world and no one I would rather spend my time with, she is my ideal of perfect beauty and grace and if I keep on writing this will get rather mushy and long winded. In short she is my definition of pure love.

-Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home